Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Lil' Wayne Helps Students Learn English..

Planned post prior to this evening:

The many interruptions, x-rays, clinics, peasant organization rallies, etc. have made continuity in my program mildly difficult. I've still managed to have at least one class a day. A group of students always shows up ready to pick my brain for at least two hours. Sometimes their questions really stump me and I feel silly. Then I feel silly for feeling silly because I really couldn't have anticipated needing to know the English translations of certain words having never before spent a significant amount of time in this culture.

I've decided what I would like to contribute to this organization/community when I have the means to do so – bathrooms. Human dignity can be preserved and upheld in something as simple as allowing a person to use a real bathroom or shower, particularly when they're ill. The women that wash and cook in the back told me once last week I needed to come hang out back there more to practice my Creole. What I couldn't explain, however, was that sometimes being back there was difficult because those were the moments when I saw the most significant instances of human need, and I couldn't always stomach it.

There aren't any running-water toilets for patients (I think I mentioned in a previous post that there are outdoor latrines). For patients remaining here for an extended period of time, there are also no showers. I've caught too many glimpses of pregnant women, looking ready to burst, taking a bucket sponge bath with little to no privacy behind a broken-down truck in the yard.* Another time an elderly woman, carrying her IV bag, sat naked on the steps leading up to the latrines as her (presumably) husband or son bathed her. Even those these are the showering/bathroom experiences that most here are accustomed to as well (several of the people that work here also take bucket showers openly in the back), my idealistic self envisions something better for those who are already battling a difficult experience.

*This is not meant to be negative commentary on the organization here in any way, shape, or form. I'm just reflecting on what I've seen.

I had a long conversation yesterday with a student I have who goes to school in Cap. His English is relatively strong, although we frequently converse in French/Creole. We talked about how he wants to study medicine and become a doctor, as aspiration of many here as it is one of the few careers that students actually see in practice. Almost every girl will tell you she wants to be a nurse when she grows up. Anyways, I appreciate conversations with this student because, at least not yet, they haven't turned into a guilt-trip for money. He showed up today with a list of 90 words/phrases that he wanted help defining/spelling, many from song lyrics. I asked a lot about the process of going to university here, and I'm still working on trying to piece together the details between what I find online and what the students tell me. It's clear to me so far that even if you finish high school and are intelligent, there's not a good chance of a scholarship. The scholarship issue is tricky. On the one hand, there is a lot of money. On the other hand, many organizations, and the government, don't want to pump money into educating students either in Haiti or abroad who won't remain in Haiti. I am working on researching this more, mostly because I want to find more resources for this student.


On a lighter note, I have three different peanut-based things to snack on. Regular shelled peanuts, tablet (which is like Haitian peanut brittle, not very sweet though), and the not-so-spicy-now peanut butter (amazing on bananas).  

No comments:

Post a Comment