Monday, June 24, 2013

So many updates!

6/21/13

Lessons on idioms

This morning we had fish for breakfast. This had to be the first component of a meal I really couldn't do. However, I'm finally getting into the spicy peanut butter with bread and bananas. Delicious.

I spent two hours today helping a girl from the high school across the street to study for her final exam in English. The exam was definitely beyond her level of English, which I felt terrible about because she was giving it all she had during those two hours that we worked together, navigating the exam through my hybrid French-Creole. The first part of the exam consisted of an arbitrary reading on English idioms that use food, such as “it's a piece of cake” and “she's the apple of my eye”. It was ridiculous. This is no way tested her practical use of English, but it's pretty similar to foreign language testing in the U.S. I'm hoping to get to work with her again before the exam, because I really enjoyed gaining some greater insight into Haitian education.

In the late afternoon I finally got to have an organizational meeting for my summer program. The two American girls with me gave me looks that sent a message I was a little crazy for taking this on. Sure the group was a little chatty, but really nothing compared to some of the groups I'd had at TJ in Frederick. Only about 30 students showed up to the meeting (impending rain stops everything here) but dozens more have asked to be added to the list. At first we planned that I would simply explain everything in English, with my new friend as my Creole translator. However, once I said I speak French, the students asked that I just explain everything in French. I was so happy because this meant I could really communicate with my students.

I'll be running two classes, one from 9:00-11:00am and another from 4:00pm-6:00pm, each day Monday-Friday. Both classes will initially be the same, I'm waiting to really find out the levels of my students to shift things around. Classes will run Monday, July 1st – Wednesday, July 31st. I decided that to keep motivation going I will do a quiz each Friday, and then a final evaluation the last week before I leave on August 2nd. It's going to be a challenging and exciting month!

6/22/13

TOMS

Side street near the market
This morning we finally got to get out of the hospital compound and go around the market in town. The other Americans here are working on some research on salt and hypertension for a grant for the organization. They're surveying woman who do the cooking for their families, so town on market day seemed like a good time to get some surveys.

The market itself was a little wild. Apparently, the method of bargaining here is through yelling, and even though it sounds malicious, it isn't really. On this excursion I FINALLY got to have an cold Coke. This was heaven in my mouth.

One of the most interesting things I saw while at the market was a blanket with child-size pairs of TOMS. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the inside of the shoe read “not for re-sale”. So these are the TOMS that are supposed to be given out free when we buy our TOMS in the U.S. This was a little disappointing. The silver lining in this was that I finally got to see a pair of the “free” TOMS and they appear to be much sturdier than the ones we buy.



Post-market adventures we spent two hours on this gorgeous beach that is right across the street from the hospital compound: (this view is from another angle though, up the street, the hospital is on the road behind the pink building)




6/23/13

Broccoli Salad

This morning I learned how to do laundry! I brought my things out, we filled a silver basin with water and dumped in my clothes and washing powder. Then they tried to teach me how to scrub the clothing against itself on my hand. I just couldn't get the soap to lather and make a squishing noise the way the women could. I scrubbed so hard my wrist began to bleed. Another woman helped me to finish, and we then rinsed my clothes twice in the sink before climbing up the ladder to the roof to lay them out to dry.

That afternoon for lunch/dinner we had a real feast – which included a broccoli salad. For some reason the woman the does most of the cooking here thinks that broccoli is really exotic and wants to cook it a lot for us. So she asked the girls to make a broccoli salad. I was initially weird out by the whole thing, cold broccoli (mostly the stalk because the top was moldy and slimy) with raw garlic, onions, sweet pepper, and a little oil. Turned out to be the most delicious part of the meal (and everything else on the table was amazing). Go figure.


Blantourage

Today we went to the most beautiful beach I've ever been to in my life. It cost 25 gourdes (less than $1) to get into Choo Choo Bay. Once we entered the makeshift entrance made of a tarp curtain, it was evident we had walked into a Haitian beach party. There was music being blasted through large speakers, and several little stands set up selling food and drinks. We walked in, in full blan fashion, the only ones equipped with towels and sunscreen. Three young white girls on the beach, we knew it was going to be an interesting time from the start, but that wouldn't stop us from spending some time on this beautiful beach. We got situated, each taking turns going for a swim in the water so our things wouldn't be left unattended. I hadn't been in the water long before a young man struck up a conversation – in English. A request to practice his English soon turned into a lecture about how God wouldn't bless me if I didn't give him anything and I promptly swam away. Others approached me to talk as well, carrying on in French/Creole before asking a similar question about money. There's no better word to use, it was just an awkward situation. It's not that I don't really the desperation of people here, but it would be a mess if I did give one person something among a crowd of hundreds. It became disappointing that I couldn't just have a conversation to learn about another person.

At one point we spied some other blans walking along the beach, they even had a huge cooler! We were looking forward to interacting with them, to see why they were in the area, etc. Weirdly, the avoided any contact with us and took a detour right around us and up away from the beach.

Another group of young men approached me, and this time I had resolved to not let on that I spoke any French or Creole, but before I could really put my mind to it one of the guys asked me if I spoke French and I instinctively replied “Oui, je parle bien francais!” This group was different. They were university students visiting from Cap. We had a good conversation in French about where French is spoken in Canada (they assumed I was Canadian since I spoke French) and I eventually started talking one-on-one with one of the guys in the group named Ricardo, who was wearing glasses. (This is a significant detail here, it is pretty rare to see anyone wearing glasses.) We talked for a while about what we're studying. He's doing business management right now but wants to get into law. I was so excited to get to talk to someone in French so I could fully understand and to find out about his life and not have it culminate in a request for money.

Back at our towels, there was a group of about 20 people assembled around our little encampment. The typical “blantourage” of children no matter where we go is normal, but this was different, it was a group composed entirely of males, and of every age, just sitting/standing and staring at us, from only a few feet away. It became a little unsettling, and after some awkward conversations we decided to depart.

Many things were seen on this excursion to the beach. A young men drunkenly stumbling all over the beach, eventually face-planting in the sand and being carried off by his friends. Little kids rolling around in the sand in their clothes. Drunk women that looked a little older than me stumbling up to us asking why we're white and making fun of my pasty legs. A guy who has been to Miami begging me to give him a job because the other girls told him I'm studying to be a lawyer.

6/24/13

Back to business


 While sitting in the meeting room reading over EFL activities and drinking coffee (while listening to Kesha of course) it finally hit me – the opportunity that I'm being afforded right now is insane. I've especially had this little epiphany in light of discovering the rather large socioeconomic difference that exists between myself and my American peers here in Borgne. I'm pretty darn grateful for this crazy experience.  

Standing on the roof of a home in Borgne - sporting my "aide worker chic" look as dubbed by another American in the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment