Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mwen parle Kreyol.. or at least I try to..

Last night came to a peaceful close. I was able to discuss more planning for my classes. (On that note: I really won't start teaching until July because the high school doesn't finish until June 28th but I really wanted to have some time to acclimate and work on my Creole.) I then was invited by some of the other American girls to go lay up on the hospital roof and look at the stars. Absolutely beautiful. I felt like the stars were so close, and it was pretty late so it was relatively quiet outside beyond the hospital. I loved it.

Something I've been struggling with a lot since I arrived is a concept I prefer best named in French - “le voyeurisme”. I mentioned it when reporting back to the Hood community in the spring of 2012. I use the term in the sense that I constantly feel like I'm intruding on the personal lives of those around me through even just a glance – as if I feel that it's unfair for me to even try to observation a way of life I can't even begin to imagine. This is what keeps me from taking pictures, even though most people welcome it. I know that I can't really become part of the culture in seven weeks, but that's what I want, to observe less and experience more.

Today I went with a new friend (who is sadly leaving tomorrow!) to gather a group of young children to go through beginner English picture books and learn/practice our Creole in exchange. We had a group of about ten attentive kids, ranging (from my estimations) from about five to ten years old. Some of the students, younger and older, were really able to work through the pronunciation on their own, which was really cool to watch. One of the interesting connections the kids made was when my friend pointed to a picture of a fire, and the kids all said the word “poubelle”, which in French (as well as a variation of the spelling in Creole) means “trash can”. In Haiti, there isn't exactly a system for trash collection. I remember being shocked when I was here the first time as a little boy took the wrapper off his lollipop I gave him and tossed it out of the window. I had to catch myself before almost scolding him. That was the norm. In any case, trash here is typically burned to get rid of it – and I just love the linguistic connections I get to make/see everyday here between English, French, and Creole.

While spending time with the kids today as we worked in the courtyard of the primary school adjacent to the hospital compound, I was struck by the amount of broken glass scattered over the ground. Then I realized that about half the children running around weren't wearing shoes, which was typical to see here but paired with the sight of broken glass was just a different thing altogether. I did, however, notice one little boy wearing a rather sturdy-looking pair of TOMS, which made me smile.

Later in the afternoon, my friend and I went to the malnutrition ward in the hospital to visit with the babies. Here we did take pictures. (I will try to upload along with this post, but the internet is temperamental.) One of the babies looked much like a newborn, but she is actually 23 months old, another even smaller at just 16 months.

After dinner I went with the other Americans to swim in the ocean. Practically living on the beach, a beautiful beach surrounded by green mountains, remains surreal to me in the middle of everything happening around me. But it was the warmest water I've ever swam in outside – absolute paradise.

While I'm sad to see new friends leave tomorrow, I'm glad to lose some of the American bubble. I have swore to myself that tomorrow I will go hang out with the ladies in the kitchen, so matter how awkwardly I stumble over my broken Creole. It is happening.


Tonight there was a little farewell shindig for one of the girls leaving in particular as she's been here for about five weeks. The hospital staff bought a cake for the occasion in Cap! We had water, coke, and the Haitian beer Prestige. Dr. Thony, the head of the hospital, said some really sweet words and we had a nice evening just talking with each other and saying goodbye. Shortly afterwards, when there were just a few of us left downstairs playing cards, we began to hear yelling outside. A crowd had gathered outside of the hospital entrance as someone had just passed away. The word is that it was a 35 year old woman who was pregnant and arrived just two days before, and that the cause was Cholera. (Speaking of which, if you haven't seen it yet, definitely take the 28 minutes to watch Baseball in the Time of Cholera, it's a great documentary and it's free to watch on youtube!) In Haitian culture this means that wailing, screaming, and crying will ensue for a few hours – both eerie and heart-wrenching to listen to. (The funeral scene in the documentary captures this perfectly.) It's still going on now, it'll be a while before I'm asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment